Saturday, May 23, 2009

Do You Ever Get the Feeling That the World is a Tuxedo and You're a Pair of Brown Shoes?

As you can tell be the amount of posts I've done this week I've been kind of busy. Still holds true today. I'm actually working but I thought I would throw this up quickly because it's a video and doesn't take a lot of effort on my part.

I talked to Stephanie this morning briefly, and she said she was just out shopping and was looking at a pair of brown shoes (almost as lame as working on a beautiful day like this). It instantly put a vision of George Gobel in my head. A lot of people don't know who George is, but for me, he was one of my babysitters growing up.

To deal with me during the day my mom would just plop me down in front of the TV and turn on the game shows. I would sit there for hours, and most of my intelligence and wit can be attributed to those shows. Whether it be from Gene Rayburn, Charles Nelson Riley, or the late great Paul Lynde. George Gobel was the bottom left square on The Hollywood Squares.

This clip is from The Tonight Show that was taped in 1969. It is probably one of the funniest interviews ever done and THIS IS the golden age of Hollywood. George was supposed to be the opening act, but everytime they announced his name someone else would come out. First Bob Hope, then Dean Martin. This is why Hollywood will never be the same. Lightning does not strike twice.

Classic....enjoy.

3 comments:

Lianne said...

Thanks so much for this. I'm crying -- these guys just crack me up. "We drink moderately and I have a case of it in my car".

I used to love the Dean Martin Roasts -- and you know who else still brings me to tears? Victor Borge. Still to this day. Also Match Game (but Gene Rayburn and Charles Nelson Riley oh, and Brett Somers were regulars so that explains that).

You're right -- Hollywood will never be the same.

Dan Johnson said...

Priceless! The smoking alone cracks me up!

John Hartwick said...

"Look at Rover galloping across the meadow" kills me everytime.