Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Where Have You Gone Albert Brooks

Do you ever have those people that ask you who you would have play yourself if they ever made a movie about you. It never ceases to amaze me how people always come up with Tom Cruise and Angelina Joile etc. etc.. Nobody ever comes up with Bill Bixby or Rory Calhoun (for Dan). The only person I know is a lock is Stephanie and Rosanna Arquette.

If it was up to me, I would personally choose Albert Brooks. We don't look so much alike, but he does nail my neuroticism. It is a shame he has so few movies, and even more so that most people only know him as the voice on Nemo's dad in Finding Nemo. He should really have more of a Woody Allen following.

Still not a bad career for someone born with Albert Einstein as a name. His first major film role was in Martin Scorses's Taxi Driver. Scorsese permitted him to improvise much of his own dialogue. Brooks later had a conversation with the movie's screenwriter, Paul Scrhader. Scrhader said that Brooks' character was the only one in the movie he could not "understand." A remark Brooks found amusing , as the movie's anti-hero is a psychotic killer.

And to top it off, anyone that has ever had any type of strained relationship with their mother will only benefit by seeing Brooks' movie of the same name. It literally changed the way I look at life and family. Funny stuff.

6 comments:

Lianne said...

I ADORE Albert Brooks. The first thing I saw him in was Defending Your Life. I was actually thinking about things that make me laugh today -- and he was at the top of my list. Thanks for posting this trailer, I'm heading to Blockbuster to rent it.

Dan Johnson said...

Ha! When I think of Rory Calhoun all that ever comes to mind is that ridiculous cult classic, Motel Hell...

John Hartwick said...

Don't forget "Lost In America", a classic.

Dan Johnson said...

That's true...

Lianne said...

Lost in America. Yeah, but all I can hear is Julie Hagerty's strange little voice. I think I'd chose Catherine Keener to play me. She's already been in "Living in Oblivion", "Heroine of Hell" and "If These Walls Could Talk". Maybe she's already done the movie of my life--hmmm.

Shelley said...

Can you think of an actor who consistantly plays fuck-ups and/or characters who are desperately seeking love and acceptance? Me neither.

Although, Jessica Lange's character in "Tootsie" reminded me somewhat of myself at that time--vulnerable, hurt too often, kind of naive.

The childish, indecisive, impulsive side of me, I think, Teri Garr could play--not to imply that that is who she is. Her characters are often kind of airy, 'trying hard to be normal' types. I think she could do a good job of me.