Sunday, June 1, 2008

Harbour Of My Soul

Having one of my easy Sunday mornings. I'm watching a movie called "Local Hero" for probably the 10th time. It's a quaint story about a big Texas oil company trying to buy out a small Scottish village. There is something about it that always ropes me in. The soundtrack was done by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, and so as not to insult anyone, Mark Knopfler fame.

It reminds me of an old CD of mine, one of my favorite, and oldest, that now is but a memory. I'm one of those people, that when I find something I like, I buy 2 so it one gets lost or broken I have another. I know, weird (and expensive) habit. The CD was The Waterboys. One of the best front to back CD's ever.

The first copy met it's fate in my dogs mouth. Bad boy!! Bad boy!! The second survived for years until a few summers ago when my friend Kim and I were shooting overtown in the convertable. (This has always been an issue of contention, in North Vancouver downtown is lower Lonsdale. Overtown is Vancouver. Get it in your heads people). Kim has always had a track record in my cars. Just in that month alone he had sat on and broke my 2 identical pairs of sunglasses. D'OH!!

He had never heard the CD and wanted to borrow it. For me it was giving away a child, but I relented. Sure enough a few weeks later I asked for the CD, and Kim got into that high squeaky voice he uses when he is trying to cover the truth. Turns out he split up with his girlfriend, and he left it at her place. They were definately not on talking terms. I have now been Waterboyless for 3 years, until this morning. Enjoy the song. I think we have all had relationships where we "crossed swords."

1 comment:

Dan Johnson said...

Waterboys were great, they just could never seem to put it all together (whatever that means)...love 'em too...