Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Circle Theory

I had an interesting night last night. Sort of a slow Friday going into a long weekend, but I never mind. It was one of the first warm summer evenings of the year. A night you could sit out on the front porch in the rocking chair reading your favorite book, quenching your longing for a time or place in your mind just as the sweating glass of lemonade quenches your thirst.

I have always been known to have, how would you say it? A little volatility when it comes to relationships, friendship or otherwise. The people I get closest to tend to be the fire to my gasoline. I have always been a passionate person, and am well known to have fire in the belly. I have always been a very independent person, even in my youth. That is why a friendship or relationship is so important to me. It is not often I let my guard down, and when I let someone in, I let them all the way in. And I need people like that. It is well known that I need another to soften my edges. Trust and loyalty is not implied, it is required. Sometimes it's like people show up at a restaurant without a dinner jacket or tie, and I loan them one so they can get in, that is one of my faults, and I no longer lend them out. Show up ready for dinner or don't show up at all.

So last night I'm sitting there, and all of this stuff is going on around me. My mind wandered off as it so easily does, and I just started seeing circles. Relationships are like circles, almost like an intertwined Olympic logo, but on a much larger scale. In each circle is a point of orbit, a speck, that is us. We have those life long friends, where the planets are always aligned, our specks meet where our circles intersect and seldom changes. But we have others, specks that were always right beside us, that start moving away, the opposite direction. The circles still touch, because we will always think of that person no matter what happened, but we had to let them go. The speck goes out to the far end of their circle, and ours goes to the far side of our own. The cold darkness of space. A lot of the time the specks will never come together again, they will move at different speeds as they round the circle. Sometimes they will meet again, sometimes they will stay together, and other times it may be cruelly brief. We never know unless we wait for it with open arms.


Think of it this way. You have a calm body of water, a pond, a puddle. It's raining. You are the first drop of rain. Each following drop is the people you have around you. We all reach out and touch one another in different ways. No matter how far out one circle is from another, we will reach out and touch it, but will we affect it? Every action we make affects those around us, whether it be charity, hate, or love.

Two different theory's on the circle. That's where my head was at 2 in the morning.

2 comments:

B. Diederich said...

Very nice.
I am going to read this again later, because right now my thoughts are dwelling on some 'hate' and I was thinking earlier of a mean situation...and how it would probably circle around and affect me in the future...

Anyway, my daughter got married Saturday and we talked a few days before that. She's been with her boyfriend for almost 4 years. She said something like this: "Mom, every day when I wake up, Nate always says something to me that makes me smile or laugh into my pillow..."
Aahh. I am glad for her. I guess my planets are out of alignment!

John Hartwick said...

Good for her, it's not easy to find someone like that.

As for yourself, a little patience, and some open arms, and you'll be fine.