Friday, June 27, 2008

New York New York!!



Start spreading the news, I'm leaving August 27th....

I am finally making my return to New York City. It has been a long time, way too long. I went to New York in the early '90's, but the trip was mostly wasted exploring every bar the city had to offer and before I knew it I was gone. This is a quicker trip this time, but I have promised myself to plan it out a little better.

There are 10 people going, and I must say I have a new respect for travel agents after stitching this junket together. It started with 4 of us and quickly ballooned. It's not easy to book rooms when you can't get a hard number. Every time I thought I had everything done the phone would ring again.

I've also learned a great lesson about pulling the strings that you have. My company signed up with a new travel agency a few weeks ago, and lets just say they were more than willing to please. We are catching a 747 coming out of Hong Kong direct from Vancouver to New York. It's a Cathay flight, so we know it will be good, all for the bargain price of $595 tax in!! The icing on the cake is that they were able to score me 9 rooms at the venerable Waldorf Astoria right in the heart of midtown on Park Avenue for an absolutely ridiculous price, with the promise of a special room for me for setting this up. I just have to break the news to everyone that blue jeans and runners are not allowed in the lobby.

I'm lining up tickets for the Yankees/Red Sox and Yankees/Jays, contacted the Letterman Show. Scoping out the Guggenheim, the Met, et al. It's going to be a busy 5 days, but it is going to be the trip of a lifetime I'm sure. I'm already on Christmas sleeps.

On a separate note, we lost George Carlin last weekend. I never said who actually wrote it, but my very first blog was a wonderful quote I borrowed from somebody. It was George Carlins. I tried to find a video of it this week that I could post, but to no avail. So if you have some time, try going back to my first blog and give it a read. It will be worth it. If it wasn't for George, we wouldn't have the freedom of speech in broadcasting that we do today. Unfortunately that gave us Andrew Dice Clay, but it was still worth it.

No comments: