Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Duke of Dublin

Another crappy week. I hate the law of averages, I knew it would catch up to me. It doesn't help that the weekends just seem to fly by.

Anyhow, I was going to do a rant today about how Richard Dreyfuss' character was wrong in his statement at the end of the movie Stand By Me. While he is right that friends do tend to go through our lives like bus boys in a restaurant, he was wrong about the final part. It's funny how a weekend can change your perception, and it's even funnier that I had planned to write on that very issue only to see it unfold before my eyes.

I have a very old friend that calls me "The Freak", just for that reason. If the impossible or improbable can happen, it will happen to me. She has witnessed it too many times. So anyhow, out with Stand By Me, in with the Duke of Dublin.

I had my monthly meeting out in Abbotsford. A friend of mine lives out there now and we hooked up for lunch. Abbotsford is going through a much needed revitalization, and it seems to be starting right at the five corners.


A new pub called The Duke of Dublin opened about a month ago. It is literally pub as art. Every detail of this place is amazing. If they can do this with the rest of the town, Abbotsford will soon be a contender. The owners obviously took great pride (and probably more than they wanted of their savings) putting this place together. It's stunning. Cobb salads on the menu to boot. Homerun for me.

The only thing better than the setting was the company I was keeping, I needed a good end to a bad week. We all need to vent sometimes, and I find it best to do it 80 kilometers from home.

If you get a chance, go. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: