Wednesday, October 29, 2008

There is a Rose in Spanish Harlem

You know, being on the road by yourself can have an odd effect. Last night I was all gunned up for the last few innings of the ball game, which had already been postponed again...but I didn't know it. A friend pointed it out to me soon after. But not to be deterred, I pressed on.

I wandered down to the hotel bar. Frank the bartender is always happy to see me, more evidence that no matter what you think, I can be low maintenance. We did the usual "how's the kids?, how's biz?" all the regular stuff.

For some reason the beers were really socking it to me. Maybe that crap at the Cross is watered down. After a couple of hours I decided to grab a six pack to go, and head up to the room to watch a bit of the Canucks game and a movie.

I sat out on the balcony before turning the tube on and cracked a beer and fired up a smoke. The balcony is right above the lit pool, and the light danced and swam across the surface of the water, reflecting up to my room and surroundings. I just seemed to drift off for a minute. I had been thinking a lot during the day, and I just seemed to get lost in the moment...and then this song pops into my head. I probably hadn't heard it in 10 years, but it instantly took me to another time and place.

I already had the laptop running, so I just clicked on itunes. I had 'er all loaded up in a few minutes. I sat on that balcony for more than an hour just swaying away to the watery light.

I probably listened to it 10 times on the drive home today. Love stuff like that.

1 comment:

Dan Johnson said...

Classic...it's weird but the letters I need for author comment approval are LATIMMO. Not exactly Latino but close...