Saturday, September 20, 2008

Delta Dawn What's That Fog That You Have On?


The weekend, finally. Hopefully I will get back into the work thing by Christmas. Way too much going down.
I went to Victoria on Tuesday. I love the early darkness this time of year brings. I am almost guaranteed a great sunrise on all of my early morning drives.
I left at 5:15. It was clear, and the full moon literally blazed a path to my destination. The Tsawassen delta. Home of B.C. Ferries, and the worst breakfast on the face of the planet.
As I crested the Knight Street Bridge, Richmond laid out before me like the pillow top of a mattress. Weather is not my specialty, but it always seems to happen in the delta areas this time of year, the fog means dawn is near. The pillow top had the softest glow, almost alien. I have always dug the diffusion that fog brings to light. I wish I could just sneak some away in my pocket, and place it neatly around my home lighting.
Once I got onto the highway heading toward the Massey Tunnel, the fog lifted to just above the road, street light level. I had never seen this before, the road literally became a tunnel itself. You could see perfectly in front of you, but if you looked up you would think there were tears in your eyes. The light was almost muffled as sound would be with your hands over your ears.
I made it out there, and grabbed my coffee. I found a rock down by the water where I could flick my Bic for a couple before the ferry. The ferry is at the end of a long spit, the road seemed to run forever under the fog. The sun broke, a beautiful fiery red. Within minutes it split between the clear below and the fog above. Words can not describe, and apparently neither could my camera. It seems fog, like a shy teenager, does not like its picture taken, none of my shots worked out. Although I'm sure the operator was somewhat to blame.

No comments: