I was thinking more yesterday of the passing of Paul Newman. Mostly about the films he did that touched my life. First and foremost, one of my personal top 10, The Sting. It was a chance for Paul, Robert Redford, and George Roy Hill to get together again to see if they could reproduce the magic of Butch and Sundance. They nailed it, and with the help of Marvin Hamlisch, put it together with a wonderful soundtrack of Scott Joplins ragtime music.
With the movie coming out in '73 it had a fairly big impact on a young impressionable boy. A few of my relatives (and yes me) got really into the music, and still to this day I long to play the piano for just that reason. Unfortunately I have a totally useless left hand.
Anyhow, there was many a summer where I would dip my feet in the St.Lawrence River at the end of a day as I sat at the end of our dock across from Beau Rivage. The setting sun tossing silver and gold across the surface of the water, as it said its goodbyes for the day. And the whole time Solace, or The Entertainer would be playing in the background.
Its been a while since I have been able to dip my feet in those waters, but there are still many nights as I watch the sun go down that Joplin is playing in the back of my mind. Another one of those soundtracks of our lives.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
A little bit of Solace (Scott Joplins Rags)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember seeing that movie at the Paramount Theatre in New West. It was one of the last real classic old school movie houses and seeing The Sting seemed totally appropriate.
The soundtrack was well-played in our house as well, thanks for the memory...
Post a Comment